Re: Coloring a Sphere

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9402] Re: [mg9378] Coloring a Sphere
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 01:02:30 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David Farrelly wrote:

> I am trying to plot a function D[alpha,beta,gamma] where alpha,beta and
> gamma are euler angles and thus define a point on the surface of a
> sphere. What I would like to do is to plot the sphere and color it
> according to the value of the function Abs[D]. I can't figure out from
> the Mathematica manual how to do this.
>
> david Farrelly

In 3D graphics, there is an option ColorFunction.  If you think of the
plot as z[x,y], then the color function takes as an argument z such
that z ranges from 0 to 1, with zero being the lowest value in the plot
and 1 being the highest, thus:

Plot[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},ColorFunction->Hue]

prints a parabola which is Red at the bottom Hue[0.] and goes through
the rainbow ending up with Red at the top Hue[1.].  If you want
different color maps, then use the Pure Function idea:

Plot[x^2+y^2,{x,-2,2},{y,-2,2},ColorFunction->(Hue[Sqrt[#]+.2]&)]

Don't forget the parenthesis around the Hue or you'll get an error
message.