Re: headers and footers again

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9399] Re: [mg9357] headers and footers again
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 01:02:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Xah Lee wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> There's a command called something like "Show Expression". On the mac, the short-cut is command-e. So if you put the cusor in the cell, press command-e, you'll see the cell in expression form. Then you can edit it.
>
>  Xah, xah at best.com
>  http://www.best.com/~xah/Wallpaper_dir/c0_WallPaper.html
>  Mountain View, CA, USA
>
> At 12:33 AM -0800 1997.11.01, seanross at worldnet.att.net wrote:
> >The manual section on headers and footers says that you can see what a
> >header expression would look like by using the Show Expression command.
> >Has anyone actually done this?  If I copy the standard header
> >expression
> >
> >Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]
> >
> >into a cell in a notebook, a dialog box comes up that asks whether or
> >not I want to interpret the text as a cell expression.  If I say yes,
> >then the expression is invisible and Show Expression just shows me the
> >header expression.  If I say no, then the text is wrapped in another
> >cell expression and Show Expression only shows that.  Changing the
> >"Header" to "Text" or something else has no effect.  Since there is no
> >"Print Preview", how can someone compose a header or footer without
> >wasting a bunch of paper?

YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT I AM ASKING.  I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO EDIT
EXPRESSIONS.  I CAN EDIT THE EXPRESSION IN THE HEADERS DIALOG BOX OR I
CAN CUT AND PASTE IT AND EDIT IT IN A NOTEBOOK.  I WANT TO SEE WHAT IT
LOOKS LIKE WITHOUT PRINTING IT.  WHEN I COPY A CELL FROM THE HEADERS
DIALOG BOX IT DISPLAYS AS A BLANK CELL EVEN THOUGH SHIFT-CTRL-E ALLOWS
ME TO EDIT IT.  EDITING IT DOES ME NO GOOD IF I CAN'T SEE WHAT IT WILL
DISPLAY LIKE.  I WANT TO SEE WHAT THE CELL WILL LOOK LIKE ON THE
TOP/BOTTOM OF THE PAGE WITHOUT ACTUALLY PRINTING IT.