Re: headers and footers again

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9405] Re: [mg9357] headers and footers again
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 01:56:25 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sat, 1 Nov 1997 03:33:43 -0500
seanross at worldnet.att.net
[mg9357] headers and footers again
writes
> The manual section on headers and footers says that you can see
> what a header expression would look like by using the Show
> Expression command. Has anyone actually done this?  If I copy the
> standard header expression
>
> Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]
>
> into a cell in a notebook, a dialog box comes up that asks whether
> or not I want to interpret the text as a cell expression.  If I
say > yes,then the expression is invisible and Show Expression just
shows
> me the header expression.  If I say no, then the text is wrapped in
> another cell expression and Show Expression only shows that.
>  Changing the "Header" to "Text" or something else has no effect.
> Since there is no "Print Preview", how can someone compose a header
> or footer without wasting a bunch of paper?

Sean,
I don't seem to be getting these problems - what system are you   using?
Anyway, here is what I am getting on both a Mac and a NeXT:

Open the Headers and Footers panel and Copy the cell expression

	Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]

(1) Pasting this cell expression into a notebook and answering   "Yes"
to whether to interpret or not displays the name of the file
(notebook) gives.

Untitled  (actually in italics)

This can be edited, for example we can use the menu
	Input>Create Value Display Object...  . Or we can work on the cell
expression: click in the cell and use   the menu Format>ShowExpression
to get

Cell[TextData[ValueBox["FileName"]], "Header"]

(2) Pasting it into a notebook and answering "No" to whether to
interpret or not displays the name of the file (notebook) gives an
*input* cell with the following contents

	Cell[ TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"]

We can use CellPrint to see what this will display and print as. (we
could also make a cell-expression cell by using Format>Show
Expression on a cell and then replacing the contents with Cell[
TextData[ {ValueBox[ "FileName"]}], "Header"])

(3) More tediously, we can copy the header cell expression as   before
and then use Edit>Expression Input> Insert Raw Expression   (paste into
the panel and click "Insert")

Allan Hayes
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
http://www.haystack.demon.co.uk/training.html voice:+44 (0)116 2714198