Holding name of argument

Greetings--
  I have written a function for writing data in binary form to a file. I
use the MathLink program by Todd Gayley and John Fultz that is a
replacement for the standard (slow) package Utilities`BinaryFiles`. I
am successful in writing mixed forms of ascii, single variable, and
large array data to the file (quickly).
  The syntax of the function is writeBinary[field_,fileName_] := ...
What I am having trouble with now is writing the name of the first
argument into the file. That is, when the function is called I want to
save the name of the first argument as an ascii string and write that
string into the file. I have played for a while with HoldFirst and
HoldForm, but so far I am missing the point.
  Thanks in advance for any help.
--Mike
--
Michael A. Johnson, Mail Stop L-463