Re: Assuming n is even

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg10303] Re: Assuming n is even
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul@physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 03:47:22 -0500

Rod Pinna wrote:

> Hopefully this isn't a FAQ.
>
> Is it possible to get Mathematica (3.0) to assume that n is an even
> number for  an indefinite integral?

Good to see a posting from the University of Western Australia!  It is a
FAQ but the answer is, briefly, no.  A recent and related question was:

>I want to make an assignment T = k/omega and somehow cause Mathematica
>to know that k is an integer.  How do I do this?

In my opinion, the best way to is using pattern-matching and replacement
rules (see The Mathematica Journal 2(4): 31).  E.g., for n integral, we
have

	{Cos[(n_)*Pi] -> (-1)^n, Sin[(n_)*Pi] -> 0};

Please post your integral so that perhaps readers can make other
suggestions.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul@physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player