Re: installing TeXSave math fonts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13147] Re: installing TeXSave math fonts
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 07:42:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 7 Jul 1998, Jordan Milev wrote:

> Hello!  I've spent several frustrating hours trying to install the
> TeXSave fonts in the Mathematica directory.  The objective is to be
> able to save a given notebook file in TeX form and then use the result
> in a larger TeX document.  However, I have not been able to set things
> up right.
>
> I have the following problems:
> 1.  I can LaTeX a file containing Mathematica output, but I cannot
> display it with the dvi previewer YAP (comes with MiKTeX distribution
> of LaTeX) because the dvi previewer complains "No outline found for
> font Times-Roman..."
> 2. I can dvips the dvi file (even though I cannot see it) and while the
> dvips process is running, it says that certain font files cannot be
> found, so it wouldn't display the characters in those fonts.  Indeed,
> GS View shows a .gs file that is normal, except for missing here and
> there words that are meant to be in the Mathematica fonts.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help from somebody who has more experience in
> (La)TeX and Mathematica fonts setup.

I am not sufficiently familiar with YAP to know whether it is possible
to coax it into rendering glyphs that exist only in Type 1 format, so I
won't be able to help you with part (1) of your question.

The reason that the Math fonts do not appear in (2) is that Ghostscript
(the thing that GSView uses to render the PostScript) is not set up to
find the Math fonts on your machine.  You will need to configure
Ghostscript to find the Mathematica Type 1 fonts, which are included
with the Mathematica installation.

For a HOWTO on setting up Ghostscript to do this, see the FAQ page at
http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/Formats/EPS/Ghostscript.html

If you encounter further problems, you can send your queries to
nb2tex at wolfram.com.  This is the quasi-official support e-mail address
for TeXSave and ancillary materials like notebook*.sty and the TeX
virtual fonts package.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram