Re: How to get PostScript file in text mode.Path: monon.wolfram.com!paulh

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12691] Re: How to get PostScript file in text mode.Path: monon.wolfram.com!paulh
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 02:20:45 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <6kvr65$7se at smc.vnet.net>, Jacek Pliszka
<pliszka at bethe.ucdavis.edu> writes: |> Hi!

|> I use mathematica 3.0 at Linux server in text mode (no X). I want to
|> produce some PostScript file. In the Mathbook I found that the
proper |> command is PSPrint, but I cannot find it in any of the
packages.

PSPrint is not implemented in Mathematica 3.0, contrary to what the
Mathematica book says.  However, it is certainly possible to
reimplement something like it using top level Mathematica code.  Here
is a URL for an FAQ that tells you how to do it.

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Unix/PSPrint.html

|> Also how to combine two plots when I am running in a text mode?

I believe the method for doing this is the same as when you're dealing
with the notebook front end.  Any graphics generating command returns
an object of some sort after evaluation that you can use for future
reference.  Here is a simple example that demonstrates the behavior:

(* Here is the first plot *)

In[1]:= gr1 = Plot[Sin[x], {x,0,2Pi}]

Out[1]= -Graphics-

(* Here is the second plot *)

In[2]:= gr2 = Plot[Cos[x], {x,0,2Pi}]

Out[2]= -Graphics-

(* This gives you a composite graph *)

In[3]:= Show[gr1,gr2]

Out[3]= -Graphics-

This is also discussed in further detail in Sectin 1.9.4 of _The
Mathematica Book_ (Third Edition).

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,