Re: Efficient way to merge lists--Programming help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12721] Re: [mg12708] Efficient way to merge lists--Programming help
  • From: Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold.kainhofer at kfunigraz.ac.at>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 02:52:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Joel,
I would suggest the following:

test=test/.(({#[[1]], #[[2]], _}->#)& /@ test2)

Explanation:
You want to replace all the elements which have the same
x-,y-coordinates as an element of test2 by that element of test2. So I
create a list of replacement rules which replaces all the elements
which math the first two elements, whereas the value of the third does
not count. This can easily be done by mapping a pure function to test2.
Problems only arise, if the elements of test2 are not lists with at
least two elements.

The solution above works (I have not tested it for long lists, but it
should work fine, too):

test={{{a, b, c}, {a, c, c}, {3, d, 6}},{{a, b, z}, {a, b,1}, {3, d,
6}}}; test2={{a, b, c1}, {a, c, c2}};

test/.(({#[[1]], #[[2]], _}->#)& /@ test2) gives:

{{{a,b,c1},{a,c,c2},{3,d,6}},{{a,b,c1},{a,b,c1},{3,d,6}}}

I hope, I could help you
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer  | e-mail: reinhold.kainhofer at kfunigraz.ac.at
Strassoldog. 4/3/17 | http://www.sbox.tu-graz.ac.at/home/kainhofe/ 8010