Re: Efficient way to merge lists--Programming help

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12734] Re: [mg12708] Efficient way to merge lists--Programming help
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at fermi.phys.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 02:52:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi again Joel,

One way to do what you want is as follows. Use the second list to define
a function which changes {x,y,_} to {x,y,newz}, and then apply this
function to the first list. Specifically, define

f[{a_,b_,c_}] := g[{a,b,_}] = {a,b,c} g[a_] := a

Apply the function f to your second list

f /@ test2;

Now g is defined such that if {a,b,_} is an element of test2, g[{a,b,d}]
will return {a,b,c} from test2, otherwise g will return {a,b,d}. This
is exactly what you want, so the next step is to apply g to test1

g /@ test1

which returns the desired list of triples. We can combine the above into
a single function

replace[test1_, test2_] := Module[{f,g},
	f[{a_,b_,c_}] := g[{a,b,_}] = {a,b,c};
	g[a_] := a;
	f /@ test2;
	g /@ test1
]

I don't know if this is a better solution, but at least I think it's
easy to understand how it works. If you knew that the triples were
ordered, many other solutions would be possible.

Cheers,

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington