Re: Question about Mathematica

Nick Migliozzi wrote:
> Hi MathGroup,
>
> Let me tell you a feature that is missing from Mathematica which is
> sorely
> missed, in my opinion:  The ability to grab a 3D graphic with the mouse
> and change its viewpoints in real time.  One has to go into the
> ViewPoint changer  (alas!) Why did Wolfram write it this way, I'll
> never know!

As far as I know, Wolfram is going to change this in a future version.

> Does anyone know of a package or a special notebook that can be added to
> Mathematica that will give it this feature?

At least I do not know of a possibility to do this within Mathematica.

However I recently wrote a Java applet for this task. Now do not be
afraid because of "Java"! All you need is a web browser supporting
Java. (Most web browsers do support Java.) The applet is able to
display and interactively rotate Graphics3D objects,
and (by pressing 'o') you can display the current settings of ViewPoint
and ViewCenter on the Java console. (The Java console can be viewed
with most web browsers supporting Java. For example with Netscape3:
Choose Options/Show Java Console)

The applet is non-commercial and available at

http://theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~mkraus/Live.html

It is also in MathSource, however some links are set incorrectly there,
thus
it is not easy to get the applet from there. I already reported this to
Wolfram Research, but they do not seem to care too much about this
problem.

Using this applet to find a good ViewPoint needs the  possibility to run
Mathematica and your web browser at the same time.

> Does anybody know what I am talking about?

Hope so. :)

> Thanks in advance,
> Nicholas M.
>    /-/      NJMUG  BBS      \-\   New Jersey Macintosh Users Group   /-/
>   /-/     FirstClass BBS     \-\  PO Box AK, Rahway, NJ 07065-0340  /-/
>  /-/   908-388-1676 (28.8K)   \-\      http://www.njmug.org/       /-/
> /-/ bbs.njmug.org  (Port 3004) \-\  Info:<mailto:info@njmug.org>  /-/

Martin Kraus