Eigenvalues

Hi,

I have a problem of calculating eigenvalues  for a simple 4X4 matrix. I
am working on Sun workstation, and it takes minutes and minutes for
Mathematica to  perform Eigenvalues[] operation for a matrix like this

Clear[a, b, c, d, e, d, f, g];
testmatrix = {{a, b, c, d}, {b, c, d, e}, {c, d, e, f}, {d, e, f, g}};
Eigenvalues[testmatrix];

I will need to work with much larger (symbolic) matrices with not that
simple entries. Has anyone had an experience of working with symbolic
matrices? Would it be better doing this in MatLab?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

thanks a lot.

Raya Khanin