Labeling graphic objects

Using commands such as StyleForm, ($)TextStyle etc. and options such as
FontSize, FontFamily, FontWeight, PlotLabel, PlotLegend etc., I am
trying to generate "nice" Plot and Plot3D graphic objects. Why is it
that the font appearance is so hard to control on my Mathematica3.0/
W95 system? Sometimes the labels are crushed together in a lump of
unreadable characters, sometimes words overlap, and sometimes the same
labels appear nice after such a mundane modification such as changing
the font size from 8 to 11. Sometimes I can correct this weird behavior
for a few "Shft- Enter"'s by rebooting the system. Unfortunately there
is no traceable pattern so that I could recreate this behavior. Is
there a way to rigorously control text primitives on graphics objects?
The appearance on the screen is more or less the same as on the print
outs.