AngleBracket[] -- serious bug?!

I am running Mathematica 3.0.1 for students on a Windows95 machine. I
have discovered that if I attempt to evaluate anything which will
produce AngleBracket[] in the output, mathematica crashes, with a gpf
in Mathdll. AngleBracket[] //FullForm causes no error. If I enter
AngleBracket[] as [esc]<[esc][esc]>[esc] the same error occurs. There
appears to be no problem if AngleBracket has an argument (I haven't
checked this much however). The same problem comes up on another
machine I have access to (also win95). Any ideas?