Re: AngleBracket[] -- serious bug?!

Scott Morrison wrote:

> I am running Mathematica 3.0.1 for students on a Windows95 machine. I
> have discovered that if I attempt to evaluate anything which will
> produce AngleBracket[] in the output, mathematica crashes, with a gpf
> in Mathdll. AngleBracket[] //FullForm causes no error. If I enter
> AngleBracket[] as [esc]<[esc][esc]>[esc] the same error occurs. There
> appears to be no problem if AngleBracket has an argument (I haven't
> checked this much however). The same problem comes up on another
> machine I have access to (also win95). Any ideas?

I looked in the help and could find no built-in mathematica object
called AngleBracket.  the [esc]>[esc] is a keyboard short cut for the
\[RightAngleBracket] character, but this has absolutely nothing to do
with any symbol or function AngleBracket[].

It is an interesting question as to why

Fred[]

returns

Fred[]

but

AngleBracket[]

returns a gpf error message when both are nonprotected symbols.  Perhaps
someone from Wolfram could enlighten us.  In the mean time, I suggest
you follow the general advice given in the Mathematica book and make
all user-defined symbols and functions begin with small letters.  That
way there is no chance of overlap etc.

anglebracket[]

returns

anglebracket[]

no errors.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.