Re: RE: Re: FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11683] Re: [mg11635] RE: Re: FindRoot
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:35:18 -0500

A useful web site for tutorials:

http://www.can.nl/CA_Library/Groebner/Tutorials/index.html

For the Mathematica take on these, you could try "Groebner bases in
Mathematica 3.0" by the person who signs this note, The Mathematica
Journal Vol 6 issue 4 (Fall 1996) pp 81-88. It does not assume alot of
knowledge on the part of the reader, although it may be easier to
follow for those with some university algebra background.

For a good general, if technical, intro to Groebner bases, I recommend
highly all three text book references given in the article cited above,
as well as the Buchberger survey article. Abbreviated references for
these books:

Cox, Little, O'Shea, "Ideals, Varieties, Algorithms"

Becker and Weispfenning (with Kredel) (name eludes me at the moment)

Adams and Loustaunau, "An Introduction to Groebner Bases"

Send me e-mail if you require more detailed refs.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research