Plots from Previous Session

Dear Group,

I have been wondering how to do this in Mathematica for some time and
have never found the answer.  Hopefully, it's trivial and I'm just
missing something.

What I would like to do is use plots from previous sessions.  With
expressions, you can use cmd-L (on a Mac) to copy the previous output
cell as an input cell.  Can you do something similar with Graphics?

As an example, say you have your computer running overnight to get some
data and then plot it.  You save and quit.  Then you realize that you'd
like to overlay some of information on this plot.  Can you make the
Graphic an input cell and then work with it instead of recalculating
the data used to make the plot?

Sincerely,
Eric Mockensturm

eric@mote.me.berkeley.edu