Re: Maintaining values of variables

blimbaum_jerry@ccmail.ncsc.navy.mil wrote:

>      I notice that Mathematica maintains the value of variables from
>      previous work even if the files for that work are closed.  I find
> this
>      positively annoying.  Can someone explain the rational for this?
>      Also, the In/Out numbering..Why is this seqence not unique to the
> file
>      I'm working with, i.e. I would expect In=1 at the start of each
> file.
>      Again, what is the rational?
>
>      Thanks.   Jerry Blimbaum   US Navy Lab, Panama City, Florida

Jerry:

VALUES

Values are kept until the kernel is closed (by quitting Mathematica or
just the kernel) or they are cleared by using a command like Clear see
below.

In[62]:=
?Clear

"Clear[symbol1, symbol2, ... ] clears values and definitions for the
symboli. \ Clear[\"form1\", \"form2\", ... ] clears values and
definitions for all \ symbols whose names match any of the string
patterns formi."

More in the Help Browser

Examples:

In[58]:=
a=2; b=3;

In[59]:=
Clear[a,b]

In[60]:=
{a,b}

Out[60]=
{a,b}

I find the following very useful:

Clear["`*"]
clears all values for unprotected symbols in the Global context (the
usual interactive one).

IN/ OUT NUMBERS

In[] Out[] numbering works similarly

We can reset the numbering - at the risk of losing references by line
number.

In[63]:=
$Line = 0;

In[1]:=