Maintaining values of variables

     I notice that Mathematica maintains the value of variables from
     previous work even if the files for that work are closed.  I find
this
     positively annoying.  Can someone explain the rational for this?
     Also, the In/Out numbering..Why is this seqence not unique to the
file
     I'm working with, i.e. I would expect In=1 at the start of each
file.
     Again, what is the rational?

     Thanks.   Jerry Blimbaum   US Navy Lab, Panama City, Florida