RE: Re: Mathematica 3.0.1 / Win95 woes

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12203] RE: [mg12158] Re: Mathematica 3.0.1 / Win95 woes
  • From: "Barthelet, Luc" <lucb@ea.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:08:52 -0400

My flame: under win95, Mathematica 3.0.1

The editing bug that I now find the most annoying is the confused cell
when editing quotes.
On large input cells that have been edited many times, when one add an
extra string, 50% of the time the front end gets confused and mixes the
opening and closing of strings. Getting out of that is a nightmare. I
found that I can make it happen with just a few lines of text:

test[]:=Module[
		{},

		firstString = "tete";
		middle= "toto";
			lastString ="";
		];

type the module above in a new document WITHOUT the line that includes
middle.
Then insert the line by TYPING middle = toto"; (NOTICE THAT THE OPENING
QUOTE IS MISSING).
Then use the left arrow and move to the beginning of toto and add the
missing opening quote.

Then execute the cell.
I get this everytime:

Syntax::"bktmcp":
    "Expression \"\!\(Module[\(\({}\), \(\(firstString = \"tete\"\) ; \
\(middle = \"toto\"\) ; \(lastString = \\\" \\\";\\n\\t\\t];\)\)\)\)\"
has no \

to fix this you have to delete "toto" and retype "toto". then it works.

If it were limited to the cases were I type a string in reverse order, I
could probably just learn to get better at it. but on large input
cells, there is no way to predict what will make it fail.

end of flame. I love mathematica anyway.

Luc, who wishes for a more professional editor in the front end,
including coloring and formatting.