Re: Questions about "collecting" complex exponentials and simplifying expressions

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12180] Re: Questions about "collecting" complex exponentials and simplifying expressions
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul@physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:08:32 -0400

Wretch wrote:

> So, somehow I need to tell mathematica to write stuff like
>
> A Conjugate[B]
>
> rather than all the Im[A], Re[A], etc. stuff, which is real ugly.
>
> How do I do this?

Have you tried using the TargetFunctions option of the ComplexExpand
function?

> Y=A[x1,x2,t1,t2] e1+B[x1,x2,t1,t2] e2+
>     Conjugate[A[x1,x2,t1,t2] e1+B[x1,x2,t1,t2] e2]
>
> NOTE: e1=Exp[I(omega t - k x)] , e2=Exp[2 I(omega t - k x)]
>
> I first tried the ComplexExpand function, taking care to specify that
> A,B are complex:

Why not define

	e[n_] := Exp[n I (omega t - k x)]

and drop the x1,x2,t1,t2 (which are real and not required at this point
of the analysis).  Then you can write

					 *		  *
	y = a e[1]+b e[2]+ a  e[-1] + b e[-2]

where I'm using (the built-in) SuperStar notation to denote conjugation.
Now you can compute the expressions, such as y^2, a little more easily.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul@physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.pd.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player