Viewing 3D slices of data

What is the best way to view slices of 3-dimensional data in
Mathematica?  For example, if I have a 3D array of data, how can I view
slices of it along a given plane or surface?  My initial thoughts are
to use ParametricPlot3D to generate the surface and some function of
InterpolatingFunction configured with my data for the color.  However,
I cannot figure out how to get the colors.  Could someone please
suggest a method? Also, what is the best way to view isosurfaces?

Thank you in advance.

--
Jethro H. Greene
jhgreen@nwu.edu