Create Auto Save Package

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12428] Create Auto Save Package
  • From: Des Penny <penny@suu.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:15:37 -0400

Hi Folks:

I'm having problems creating and saving a package.  My system is Windows
95 and Mathematica 3.0.1.
The procedure I'm currently using to save a notebook file and its
associated package is as follows:

Suppose I wish to create the package "Filename.m" and its associated
notebook file "Filename.nb".

1. Clear all files named "Filename" from the target folder. 2.  Create a
new window - Untitled.nb 3.  Type or copy the package statements into
one cell in the window. 4.  Select the entire cell.  Make it an
initialization cell by
         Cell>Cell Properties>Initialization Cell 5.  Choose Save.
6.  In the window that appears choose "Create Auto Save Package".

The notebook is saved as:  Filename.nb The associated package is saved
as: Filename.m

(Note that I use "Save" above instead of "Save As Special> Package
Format".  The above procedure gives me both the Package (Filename.m)
and its associated notebook file (Filename.nb).  This allows me to
easily edit the notebook file.  When I save this, the associated
package is overwritten with the changes.)

My problem is that the above procedure does not seem to work all the
time.  Sometimes the "Create Auto Save Package" option is not given
when I save and so there is no associated package saved.

Can anyone help me correct the above procedure?  I'm particularly
interested in understanding how to force the "Create Auto Save Package"
option to occur.  Is there a Preferences setting that does this?

Cheers,

Des Penny
penny@suu.edu