Re: Create Auto Save Package

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12477] Re: Create Auto Save Package
  • From: paulh@monon.wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:31:42 -0400

In article <6jf52c$456@smc.vnet.net>, Des Penny <penny@suu.edu> writes:

|> I'm having problems creating and saving a package.  My system is
Windows |> 95 and Mathematica 3.0.1.
|> The procedure I'm currently using to save a notebook file and its |>
associated package is as follows: |>
|> Suppose I wish to create the package "Filename.m" and its associated
|> notebook file "Filename.nb".
|>
|> 1. Clear all files named "Filename" from the target folder. 2.
Create a |> new window - Untitled.nb 3.  Type or copy the package
statements into |> one cell in the window. 4.  Select the entire cell.
Make it an |> initialization cell by
|>          Cell>Cell Properties>Initialization Cell 5.  Choose Save. |>
6.  In the window that appears choose "Create Auto Save Package". |>
|> The notebook is saved as:  Filename.nb The associated package is
saved |> as: Filename.m

|> (Note that I use "Save" above instead of "Save As Special> Package |>
Format".  The above procedure gives me both the Package (Filename.m) |>
and its associated notebook file (Filename.nb).  This allows me to |>
easily edit the notebook file.  When I save this, the associated |>
package is overwritten with the changes.) |>
|> My problem is that the above procedure does not seem to work all the
|> time.  Sometimes the "Create Auto Save Package" option is not given
|> when I save and so there is no associated package saved. |>
|> Can anyone help me correct the above procedure?  I'm particularly |>
interested in understanding how to force the "Create Auto Save Package"
|> option to occur.  Is there a Preferences setting that does this?|>

The name of the option is AutoGeneratedPackage.  It can be set at the
Global, Style Definition, and Notebook levels depending on how
widespread you want to make the setting.  To get the behavior that
you're describing you probably want to set the option value to
Automatic (does the save every time you save the notebook, no dialog).
To turn it off completely  (no saved package, no dialog), set it to
None.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram Research,