Re: A Bug / Feature

Ersek_Ted%PAX1A@mr.nawcad.navy.mil wrote in message
<6k7e81$1n1@smc.vnet.net>...

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I don't like what I get
for {Head[expr], Head[%n]}  in the lines below!

In[1]:=
m1=MatrixForm[{{1,2},{3,4}}]
Out[1]//MatrixForm=
(* output deleted *)

In[2]:=
{Head[m1],Head[%1]}
Out[2]=
{MatrixForm, List}

...........  several analogous examples deleted .........

Shouldn't they both have the same head? Makes no sense to me.

Ted Ersek

Ted, here are some notes on this issue (it is a feature!)

With

In[1]:=
mat ={{1,2},{3,4}};

When m1=MatrixForm[mat] is entered (see below), ml is assigned the value
of MatrixForm[mat], which is {{1,2},{3,4}}, with MatrixForm wrapped
round it, that is MatrixForm[{{1,2},{3,4}}].

Out[2] might be expected to get the value of m1=MatrixForm[mat], that is
, again, MatrixForm[{{1,2},{3,4}}]. But the wrapper MatrixForm is
stripped off and Out[n] is assigned {{1,2},{3,4}}.

In[2]:=
m1=MatrixForm[mat]

Out[2]//MatrixForm=
1   2
3   4

The cell label tells us that we are being shown Out[2] with MatrixForm
wrapped round it, not Out[2].

Check on the value of m1:

In[3]:=
m1
Out[3]//MatrixForm=
1   2
3   4

But here is the value of Out[2] (no MatrixForm)

In[4]:=
%2

Out[4]=
{{1, 2}, {3, 4}}

This stripping is only at the outside of the expression. For example, in
the following MatrixForm is retained and prevents addition taking a
inside.

In[5]:=
a +MatrixForm[mat]

Out[5]=
a + 1   2
    3   4

To avoid some of these problems we can use

In[6]:=
MatrixForm[m1=mat]

Out[6]//MatrixForm=
1   2