Displayed characters not matching typed characters (help!)

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12654] Displayed characters not matching typed characters (help!)
  • From: hello@there.com (Rod Pinna)
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 17:36:44 -0400

Mathematica has decided to behave very strangely indeed. Upon  running
it this morning, it has suddenly started to not display  the correct
characters.

For example typing { displays an 8, and other (seemingly) random
replacements, though the particular characters are replaced by  the
same ones each time. This is version 3.0.1.1x for Windows,  running on
NT4, with the kernel which has been fixed to stop  memory errors.

The replacements occur in both new notebooks, and existing ones  that
are loaded, but the error does *not* occur in any other  apps.

Two possibilities: the first is that I was editing the style  sheets,
but this did not occur directly after doing that.  Secondly, I tried to
load Publicon 0.9 onto the machine. I didn't  get this to install, and
subsequently uninstalled it. Again, it  Mathematica *was* working
normally after this.

I've also tried rebooting, to no avail.

Any suggestions? (I would like to avoid reinstalling, as it  involves
getting the support staff to do it, and they can be, um,  bloody hard
to get...)

Thanks,
Rod Pinna.

Rod Pinna