RE: graphics question

Jrgen Tischer wrote

> Hi Allan,
 > that's strange. On my PC there is no clipping with my version, but your
> version has no ticks nor numbers. It just shows the axes (black) and
> the grid lines (blue). Nevertheless when I compare FullOptions[gr] with
> FullGraphics[gr][[1,2]], it's quite obvious that your solution is by
> far superior and has the ticks all right in it, it just wouldn't show
> on my PC. Any idea?

Jurgen,
Thanks, I should have noticed this - I was looking at an example with a
frame. But it has uncovered an interesting interplay between frames and
axes. I give what seems to be a solution, but there may be something
else lurking.

I tried this out.

gr2 = Plot[2*x^2 - 4, {x, -5, 5}, GridLines -> Automatic,
 Frame->True]

FullGraphics does clip the frame tick labels

Show[Graphics[FullGraphics[gr2][[1,2]]]]

FullOptions is fine in  this regard

Show[Graphics[{}, FullOptions[gr2]]]

But as you noticed, with

gr = Plot[2*x^2 - 4, {x, -5, 5}, GridLines -> Automatic]

FullOptions does not show the axes or the ticks (which as you observe
are in the code)

Show[Graphics[{}, FullOptions[gr]]]

Now for the solution.
We have

FullOptions[gr, Frame]
{False,False,False,False}

but

Options[gr, Frame]
{Frame->False}

Forcing the second one to be used produces code that works for both gr
and gr2.

Show[Graphics[{}, FullOptions[gr]], Options[gr,Frame] ]

Show[Graphics[{}, FullOptions[gr2]], Options[gr2,Frame]]

This problem/feature is a general one

Plot[x^2, {x,-1,1}, Frame -> {False, False, False, False}]

has neither axes nor ticks.

Plot[x^2, {x,-1,1}, Frame -> False]

has axes and ticks

It seems that we are being protected against messy combinations of axes
and frames!