Re: How Mathematica do Interpolation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14798] Re: How Mathematica do Interpolation?
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:28:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <72jdo7$3ab at smc.vnet.net>, "Nobuhiko Tamura"
<ntamura at tky2.3web.ne.jp> writes:

|> I have some question about Mathematica |>
|> 1.
|>
|> Giving some list and type Interpolation[list],I can get the
interpolated |> graph.
|> And it's seems to be very neat.But How Mathematica do it? Please tell
|> me,or tell me some reference book

See the Reference Guide in the back of _The Mathematica Book_ (Third
Edition), Section A.9.  Therein, you will find some notes on how
algoritms used by the Mathematica system.  There is a brief note on
this under the subsection "Data Manipulation."

|> 2.
|>
|> I often use the package  Statistics`DescriptiveStatics` Can I have |>
Mathematica to load it automaticaly when Mathematica starts?

There are two ways to go about this.  The first is to add a command to
your kernel initialization file that invokes the appropriate  Get or
Needs command.  The second entails setting up the kernel to  load the
package you need when you invoke a package-defined function.

Approach 1:

1) Launch a Kernel and evaluate the following expression:

	ToFileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "Kernel"}]

This will print a path name that will be searched by the kernel as it
is loading.  If there is an init.m file in this directory, it will be
loaded and evaluated by the kernel just like a package.  While the path
given by $PreferencesDirectory may exist on your system, it is unlikely
that the Kernel directory does, so you'll need to create this manually.

2) Open a text editor and type in the line:

Needs["Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics"];

Save this file as a plain text document in the Kernel directory that you
created.  Give the file the name "init.m".  Close your text editor.

Approach 2:

1) Evaluate the following expression in a kernel:

	ToFileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "AddOns", "Autoload"}]

This will print a path name that will be searched by the kernel as it
is loading.  If there is subdirectory with path

	<parent context name>|Kernel|

and there is a file named init.m  in this directory, then the init.m
file will be loaded as well.  These init.m files already reside in
standard package directories, so you don't need to do any text editing.
Whenever you invoke a function from your package, the package will be
loaded without any need to invoke the loading command.

2) The path $PreferencesDirectory returned by evaluating $Preferences
directory probably already exists on your system, but you will need to
create the path AddOns|Autoload yourself.

3) Once you have created this directory, copy the the folder

ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "StandardPackages", "Statisitics",
"Kernel"}]

and its contents so that it sits in a directory with the name

ToFileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "AddOns, "Autoload", "Statistics"}]

The next time you launch a kernel, the kernel will know to load the
Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` package whenever you invoke a
function.

Of the two approaches given above, Approach 2 is the preferred since it
loads the package into the kernel only when you need it done.  The
second approach will result in more time needed to load the kernel and
more memory to store the package code even when you don't need to use
the package for that kernel session.

|> 3.
|>
|> Now I'm using Mathematica version 2.2 on Windows95 and I'm going to
buy  |> version 3.0 on Linux.
|> At Linux version of Mathematica Can I type like tcsh and bash?

I'm not sure what you mean by "type like tcsh and bash"?  Like our Unix
systems, the Linux version of Mathematica provides two interfaces to
the kernel.  One is the notebook front end, which runs under the X
Window System.  The second is a shell-based interface.  If you run the
shell interface with the DISPLAY variable pointing to an X server, then
graphics will be rendered in a separate Motif window.  If the variable
is not set, you will see ascii-based terminal graphics.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,