Mechanical Systems Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14802] Mechanical Systems Question
  • From: Richard Cooper <Richard at coredump.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:29:02 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I am using Mechanical Systems and need help modelling motion where the
velocity of a body is dependent on its distance from a set point.

For example, I have a body moving in 1D which starts with a speed of 4
m/s and is subject to a constant but unknown deceleration. The point at
which the body comes to rest must be 25 m from the starting point.

What is the best way to model this system (and calculate the
decleration)?

The following might be a good starting point. It needs one more
constraint.

fixed = 1;
flyer = 2;
start = {0, 0};
pointOfRest = {0, 25};

SetConstraints[
	RotationLock1[1, flyer, fixed, 0],
    RelativeY1[2, Point[flyer, 0], 0],
    DirectedDistance1[3, Point[flyer, 0], start, {1, 0}, 4T-(a T^2)/2],
	Constraint[5, {}, {a, 1}]
]

Cheers,

Rich.