Re: Bug in Calculus`DiracDelta`

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14803] Re: Bug in Calculus`DiracDelta`
  • From: "M. Rommel" <rommel at bc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 01:29:04 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Well, I looked at the package Calculus`DiracDelta`. It looks like to
evaluate if the argument of DiracDelta has a zero Solve is used. In my
case that is

In[3]:=     Solve[Cos[phi]==0,x]

Solve::"ifun": "Inverse functions are being used by Solve, so some
solutions may not be found."

Out[3]=   {{phi ->-Pi/2}, {phi->Pi/2}}

There lies the problem, the solution {phi->3 Pi/2} is not considered. So
multivalued functions remain a potential pitfall, even if you limit
yourself (or Mathematica) to a safe interval. Unfortunately using
DiracDelta I do not get the warning!

If I had a too much time I would like to extend the DiracDelta
definition so that for the case of definite integrals the argument is
checked for zeroes in the relevant interval and not "just somewhere".

Of course, my original problem was not as trivial as the posted
illustration.
One more proof that you still have to know what you are doing and use
Mathematica only for checking your analytical results.

Thanks for your attention,

Martin.