Re: Mechanical Systems Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14854] Re: Mechanical Systems Question
  • From: "vdmcc" <w.meeussen.vdmcc at vandemoortele.be>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 02:17:01 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi Rich,

I'd say that the distance travelled is the integral over the
instantaneous speed,
or the average speed times elapsed time ; for constant decelleration,
the average speed is half the initial speed, so the time nescessary is
t = s/(v/2) and a= - v/ t = -  v^2 /( 2 s ) or abouts.
For your example that would be a= - 4^2 /( 2 * 25) = - 0.32 m/s^2

You learn to do stuff like that in your head after a while.

wouter.