Re: Glynn/Gray book for beginners ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14936] Re: Glynn/Gray book for beginners ?
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:49:33 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <73i0n5$pje at smc.vnet.net>, "Ersek, Ted R"
<ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil> writes:

|> I have herd from various sources that "The Beginner's Guide to |>
Mathematica Version 3" by Glynn/Gray covers use of the Option |>
Inspector, programming Buttons, and programming the Front End. |>
|> The topics I list above are new to Version 3.0, and users beyond the
|> beginner level (as I consider myself) would also be interested. |>
|> My question is whether this book only scratches the surface of these
|> subjects, and is only useful to beginners?  Any other remarks on
this |> book are also welcome.

Most of the front end material in the book you mention is only  sampler
material for getting started, but there are some portions that go a
long way in clarifying things that probably baffle  beginning users.
These are also things that are not really addressed in _The Mathematica
Book_ (Third Edition).

Among the things that I found to be useful were:

o Some paragraphs devoted to explaining that some properties of  cell
styles are influenced by the default format type associated with the
style.  That accounts for why the font family for  Input style cells is
controlled by adjusting the FontFamily option on StandardForm rather
than for Input.

o The ability to use URLs as ButtonData for Hyperlink style buttons, so
that you can create links that open webpages or invoke open a mail
message composition window.

o A clarification of why Mathematica 3.0 uses separate enviornments for
presenting content on screen and on hardcopy (screen style environment
and printing style environment).

o The ever useful Chapter 56, which contains the most exhaustive
listing of front end commands and tokens that one can use to
manipulate the front end.  This chapter contains information that you
can find almost nowhere else in print..

If you want some information on programming buttons, you can give my
button box howto tutorial on MathSource a try sometime.  There is  also
a tutorial on using counter boxes.  The item numbers are 0209-809 and
0209-821 respectively.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,