Re: 2 ticks on a 2D plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14414] Re: [mg14378] 2 ticks on a 2D plot
  • From: MJE <evans.nospam at gte.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:10:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

FrameTicks should be able to do this.  FrameTicks lets you have a
separate tick specification for each of the four sides of the frame.
You will have to define your own function(s) for the tick
specifications, or list the ticks explicitly.

The capabilities that I would like to see in Mathematica are (a) dual
tick runs on the *same* part of the frame, and (b) ticks that run
horizontally but print on screen vertically (bottom to top).

Suggestion (a) is simple to follow, as when you want to show mph and
km/h on the same axis, or deg.F and deg.C.

Suggestion (b) arises because if the horizontal ticks are very large or
very small numbers, they can easily overlap each other, and the plot
becomes unreadable.  I recently encountered this problem in plotting
fluid pressures up to 500,000 psi.

It's possible to work around the problem by dividing the x-axis by (in
my case) 10,000 and putting a text box with the 10^4 multiplier off to
the side.  First of all that's work, and secondly, it makes the plot
more difficult to interpret at first glance.  I want my plots to be
easy to read in the same unit conventions that my colleagues are used
to seeing on plots.

Mark Evans
"evans" at "gte" dot "net"