RE: Save as text?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14565] RE: [mg14540] Save as text?
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:07:35 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You could have your students download MathReader (for free) from
http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/msitem?0208-707

Then they can read your Mathematica notebooks.

MathReader is a program that allows you to look at and print Mathematica
notebooks. With MathReader, you can read the text, view the graphics
and movies, and play the sounds in any notebook produced by Mathematica
on a Macintosh, NeXT, or PC running Windows 95 or NT.
_________________________

If your bent on sending them ASC files you could select any cells you
want to include in the ASC file.  From the pull down menus select,
->Cell
  ->Display As
     ->Text

Then Copy & Paste the cells into a text editor.

Cheers,
Ted Ersek

Erik Neumann wrote:
______________________
I'm trying to find a way to convert a Mathematica notebook consisting of
all text and equations (in TraditionalForm) to perhaps ASCII text so
that I can send it along to fellow students who don't have Mathematica
or TeX.  Anyone know of a package that tries to do this?

I don't need perfection or beauty, just something that gets the point
across (without me having to retype everything by hand in a text
editor).

I've tried the Save As HTML (even downloading the latest package from
ftp.wolfram.com) but it didn't work very well (it made about 100 little
files, and the top file didn't link to the others or look at all like
what I started with).