Write array as QuickTime

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16851] Write array as QuickTime
  • From: Andrew Watson <abwatson at mail.arc.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:35:23 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to write a 3D array of numbers (range: 0-255) to a QuickTime
file as a grayscale movie.
My current approach is:
1) write out each frame as a PGM file using my own PGMWrite function.
2) convert each PGM frame to TIFF using GraphicConverter (shareware).
3) read all TIFF frames into a movie using MoviePlayer (a QuickTime
application).

Any shortcuts here would help. For example, a mma program to directly write
TIFF files.
Note that the Display function will not help as it first renders the array
as a graphic, with various undocumented transformations (scale, grayscale).
I want the movie to have exactly the number of pixels as there area values
in my array, and with the exact same graylevels. My current procedure,
though clumsy, achieves this.

Regards,

Andrew B. Watson
MS 262-2