ParametricPlot help please

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16997] ParametricPlot help please
  • From: Rob Peterson <robpeterson at iname.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:13:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Some time ago several kind souls on this ng helped me do some conformal
transformation plots (this one is part of the curves describing the fields
in a parallel plate capacitor).  We used a series of ParametricPlots.  Now
I would like to understand how this worked - maybe I can learn something
about Mathematica.  I think I get the use of Map[] but I am stuck on the use of
ParametricPlot[#1,.....].  I have looked high and low and I do not find any
mention of the #1 parameter.  If I ever get thru this, I'll start trying to
understand the Partition[Thread[].... ]  part.

Here's the code.  Any help/suggestions appreciated.

By the way, I got about 5 good suggestions on how to do these plots. Some
were faster, some more understandable, but all had more characters than the
code below:

(* part of conformal transformation for parallel plate capacitor *)
x[u_,v_]:=(u+1+Exp[u] Cos[v])/\[Pi];
y[u_,v_]:=(v+ Exp[u] Sin[v])/\[Pi];

{a,b,c,d,e,f} =
  Map[ParametricPlot[#1, {u,-Pi,Pi},AspectRatio->Automatic,
        DisplayFunction->Identity]&,
         {x[u,v],y[u,v]}/.
      Partition[Thread[v->{Pi/1.2,Pi/1.5,Pi/2,Pi/4,Pi/8,Pi/16}], 1]]

 Show[{a,b,c,d,e,f}, DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction]

Thanks, Rob

robpeterson at iname.com
<http://www.flash.net/~eterson>