Re: importing and using data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17196] Re: [mg17106] importing and using data
  • From: "Mark E. Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:21:05 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Doug,
    I have had success with:

ReadList[dataStream, Number, RecordLists->True, RecordSeparators->{"\n"}  ];

Your problem may be that Mathematica does not know how to parse the
boundaries between records & it needs the extra 2 options set as shown.
Also, Tab-delimiters seem to be "natural" field delimiters in Mtca.  When
commas, spaces, etc. are used, I read the data stream not with "Number",but
as a string of words and use "," or " " and so forth as the "WordSeparator".
Then the list variables extracted from the resulting List-of-Lists of Words
are converted to numbers with "ToExpression".  Good Luck.
-mark harder.