importing and using data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17106] importing and using data
  • From: vango at lamar.colostate.edu (Doug VanGoethem)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:35:05 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a large, one column data set in a tab-delimited text file.  It
appears to read correctly when I use data=ReadList["filename", Number], but
when I tried to do a ListPlot or perform a Fourier transform I get an error
message that says it is not a list of numbers or pairs of numbers.  I have
also tried data=Transpose[Readlist[....]], but this did not make any
difference.

Has anyone encountered this before or know how to fix it?
Thanks,
Doug V