re: my previous question on matrix element assignment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17236] re: my previous question on matrix element assignment
  • From: rfinley at netdoor.com (Richard Finley)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 02:00:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nothing like posting a question to the group to make you see the answer...I
had asked how to
make assignments to certain matrix elements of (for example) mat =
Array[mat,{3,3}]  where the indices of the matrix elements to be assigned
are in the list v = {{1,2},{1,3},{2,3},{3,1}} and the values they are to be
assigned are in the list w = {1, 4, 2, 5}, so m[1,2]=1, m[1,3]=4, etc...

My head is now clear enough to see the answer:

sol=mat/.Thread[f/@v->w]

Thanks to anyone who thinks about it anyway and I am interested to see any
other approaches.

Richard Finley