Re: Solve and Trig functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19334] Re: [mg19295] Solve and Trig functions
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 02:15:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin,

I assume that the intent is not to tell Mathematica the definition of Tan
since it already knows the definition. Rather, the intent is to force it to
use that knowledge. Consequently, I suggest you define the concept of
dividing two equations as follows:

Unprotect[Equal];
Equal /: Equal[a_, b_]/Equal[c_, d_] := Equal[a/c, b/d];
Protect[Equal];

eq1 = a1 + b1 == Sin[fi];
eq2 = a2 + b2 == Cos[fi];

eq1/eq2 // Reverse