How to call a notebook via a mathlink connection

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20955] How to call a notebook via a mathlink connection
  • From: Rainer Schmid <schmid at tecmath.de>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:50:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi!

I've got following task to solve: I need to start a notebook from a C
program and execute a computation. The main problem is that it must be a
notebook. I have no problem to call a Mathematica package; but this won't do
it.

Am I right that I need the frontend loaded to load a notebook? The kernel is
not enough? I tried to start the frontend with "linklaunch" and open a link.
The problem is that I can't send packets to the frontend. I tried to send
commands with FrontEndTokenExecute[] but I do not get any return-packets;
and I need the output of the notebook.

from my application (and not vice-versa). I must get output from
Mathematica. I'm programming under Windows NT in C++.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks, Rainer.