A list of Mathematica characters

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21018] A list of Mathematica characters
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:41:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The available special special characters include
  \[EmptySmallCircle]
  \[FilledSmallCircle]
  \[EmptyCircle]
  \[GrayCircle]
  \[FilledCircle]

Often times it's hard to remember what symbols are provided, and exactly how
they are spelled.  One can navigate through the CompleteCharacters palette,
or look through section 3.10 of the big book.  I think it would be handy to
have a function that would do this:

In[1]:=
Symbols[ "*Circle" ]

Out[1]=
{EmptySmallCircle, FilledSmallCircle, EmptyCircle, GrayCircle, FilledCircle}

Well there may be other circles besides the ones I list above, but I think
you get the point.  Once I have this output I can select an element of the
list and depress F1 to jump to the listing of a symbol in the Help Browser.

Writing a function to do this is straight forward, but it requires a list of
all available symbols in the definition of this Symbols function.  I can
think of a lot of things I would rather do instead of typing the name of all
721 symbols!  Does anyone know how I can automatically create a list of all
symbol names?

Thanks,
Ted Ersek

For Mathematica tips, tricks see