Linux Products

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21011] Linux Products
  • From: Philip C Mendelsohn <mend0070 at tc.umn.edu> (Philip C Mendelsohn)
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:41:23 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I just thought I'd point out to anyone (especially students) using
Mathematica that most if not all of the Mathematica products that
say they only work on Mac or Windows are platform independent and
will also run on Linux or most Unices that can get at a CD-ROM
drive.

I was told that CalcWiz would no longer work a couple of years ago when
I switched my License, but found that it installs like any other AddOn
package.  Also, the MEI courseware (xx & Mathematica) will run on any
platform, according to word I got from Bill Davis (President of MEI.)

I would think that Wolfram would point out the platform independence of
Mathematica a little more heavily -- someone ought to educate their
marketing folk!

Cheers,
Phil Mendelsohn

--