Binning data before analysis

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21196] Binning data before analysis
  • From: "DIAMOND Mark" <noname at noname.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:24:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm looking for a simple way of binning multivariate data before
analysis.With a vector of data points, this is easy to do with RangeLists or
something similar from the Statistics`DataManipulation package. e.g.:

In[1]:=
  data = Table[Random[Integer, {0, 10}], {10}];

Out[1]:=
  {0, 1, 5, 5, 3, 6, 1, 1, 1, 2}

In[2]:=
  RangeLists[d, {0, 6, 2}]

Out[2]:=

But what I actually want to do is bin a set of data consisting of
{{timeOfPresentationOfStimulus, Response1, Response2, ...}

so that I can get the Mean responses for the data when binned by
timeOfPresentation into, say, 10 millisecond bins.
Some neat permutation trick on the indices ought to do the job, but I can't
see it.