Mathematica programming contest

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21302] Mathematica programming contest
  • From: hanssen at Zeiss.de
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:34:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi, all,

a colleage of me asked me "can't you provide me with a
Mathematica Graphics-Wizard like this: First, I select a graphics
cell, then press te Wizard button and then all the current options
of the selected cell are shown in a box. For each of them, there
is a dropdown menu, e.g.

PlotRange -> {{0,100},{-3.27,5.78}}	(* explicitly *)
                           {All,All}			(* all for both ranges *)
                           Automatic         		(* outlying points dropped *)

the current setting should be shown initially.  If one touches a triangle
button - like in Windows- then the other legal choices should be shown -
with cascading menues in more complicated cases. If the current choice is
{All,All}, those cases with number ranges should be shown with those
numbers, that are taken by this All or Automatic choice and so on.
It would be nice, to show possible choices with a short explanation
as a comment, if the keyword is not self-explanatory.

After changing those options that I like to be changed, only the changed
options should be available as PASTE for an edit operation, in order
to redo the current graphics with those changed options - or even better,
redo the current graphics applying the changed options (without rebuilding
the graphics object - in this case selecting just the changed options is
not necessary).

Of course the Graphics Wizard should automaticly adapt to the kind of
Graphics, SurfaceGraphics, ContourGraphics and so on."

Perhaps this christmas wish is a little bit too big and heavy for Santa. Is there
anyone in this group, who already has some molecules for this Mathematica pro-
gramming contest (to avoid starting at atoms or quarks...)

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Dipl.-Math. Adalbert Hanszen