RE: FourierTransform[Sign[t], t, w, FourierParameters - > {1, -1}]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21376] RE: [mg21368] FourierTransform[Sign[t], t, w, FourierParameters - > {1, -1}]
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 21:30:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jordan Rosenthal had a question about FourierTransform.
As part of the question he wrote:
--------------------
<snip>
I ran the following code

 FourierTransform[Sign[t], t, w, FourierParameters -> {1, -1}]

and got the following result

  \!\(\(-2\)\ \[Pi]\ DiracDelta[w] +
      2\ \((\(-\(\[ImaginaryI]\/w\)\) - \[Pi]\ DiracDelta[w])\)\)

Is there a better way to copy an output into a posting?
All those backslashes seem to be a bit confusing.
--------------------

I expect multiple members of the group will answer your question about
Fourier, so I won't get into that. However, I do have a unique perspective
on formatting output for email.

You can format the output using InputForm and the output often comes out
very good. But InputForm is sometimes very annoying. I wrote a package that
formats output like InputForm without the annoying traits. You can download
the package from
http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/msitem?0210-902
The package defines a function called PlainForm.
Load the package, evaluate the following and all your output will be easy to
read in email.

$PrePrint=PlainForm;

For lots of other free Mathematica notebooks and packages see
http://www.mathsource.com/

Regards,
Ted Ersek

On 12-18-99 Mathematica tips, tricks at