getting the name of a symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15412] getting the name of a symbol
  • From: Andrew Watson <abwatson at mail.arc.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:57:26 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Matherati,

I have a problem for which there must be a simple solution.

Within a function

f[a_] := blah blah blah

I want to make use of the name of the symbol supplied as input to the
function.

For example, if called as

f[qxyz]

I want to get the string "qxyz". I have looked at HoldForm and
SymbolName but nothing yet discovered seems to do the trick.

Regards,

Andrew B. Watson
MS 262-2
NASA Ames Research Center