Re: Q: Character encoding with Display[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18578] Re: Q: Character encoding with Display[]
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:01:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7m6k2d$2mm at smc.vnet.net>, Dan Truong <dtruong at irisa.fr> writes:

> When I print special characters like "[]()=E0=E9..."
> they appear as "ODHL..." in the PS file.
> Is there a way to fix this?

Download the Math fonts to the PostScript printer's memory before
you print your graphic.

Bracket characters like the ones you show above are drawn from
Math2.  When you try to print an document with a Mathematica-
created EPS file, your printer sees a request for "Math2" and
then proceeds to use Courier instead because this is not a built-
in font on the printer.

Platform-specific instructions for downloading Math fonts to a
printer may be found at this URL:

http://support.wolfram.com/Systems/All/ManualFontDownload.html

> I've tried CharacterEncoding-> "ASCII", "PrintableASCII"
> "Adobe..." "Windows... "Apple... ISOLatin1 etc.
> with no special change in the output.

The only way you can prevent the use of Math fonts in graphics
is to choose a format type for text that does not use box forms
(like StandardForm and TraditionalForm).  A worked example can
be found here.

http://support.wolfram.com/Graphics/NoMathFonts.html

> I don't know how to add to ghostview special Mathematica fonts,
> and in fact, I'd rather not have to do this, because I may have
> to give ps to 3rd party people.

Ghostview, like GSView and gv, is only a graphical front end to
the Ghostscript engine.  It is possible to configure Ghostscript
to find the Type 1 versions of the Math fonts on your system.
All you need to do is to set the environment variable GS_FONTPATH
to point to SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1 in the Mathematica installation.
A more involved solution is to edit the Ghostscript Fontmap file
to include the Math fonts.

http://support.wolfram.com/Graphics/Formats/EPS/Ghostscript.html

In principle, one could embed the font files within the EPS file,
but this has two negative side effects.

1) It increases the size of the EPS file by several hundred kilobytes
per file.

2) If you redistribute your EPS file with the fonts embedded, it
may be that you are violating copyright laws.

If you have colleagues who wish to render graphics with the Math fonts,
they can get them free of charge by downloading and installing MathReader.

http://www.mathsource.com/Content/General/MathReader/0208-707

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com