Re: Problem with "Run" command on WindowsNT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18570] Re: Problem with "Run" command on WindowsNT
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:01:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7m6j2o$2l8 at smc.vnet.net>, tanguy Risset <Tanguy.Risset at irisa.fr> writes:

> On Mathematica 3.0 on windowsNT, when I type
> In[1]:= Run["dir"]
>
> a dos window appear briefly and disapear immediatly
> out[1]:= 0
>
> Does anyone knows how to suppress the appearance of this windows?
> Is it different in Mathematica 4.0?

Quoting _The Mathematica Book_ (Third Edition), Section 2.11.12:

| It is important to realize that Run never "captures" any of the
| output from an external command. As a result, where this output
| goes is purely determined by your operating system. Similarly,
| Run does not supply input to external commands. This means that
| the commands can get input through any mechanism provided by
| your operating system.

There is no user-accessible means for suppressing the creation
of the window under Windows 95/98/NT.  The Run[] command works
by calling a lower level Win32 API function for launching child
processes.  The function provides a flag that can be set to suppress
the creation of console windows, but it is a Windows NT-specific flag.
It is hardcoded in Mathematica and cannot be changed by the user at
runtime.

Going one step backwards, is there a reason you wish to call the
operating system DIR command?  Perhaps you are not aware that there
are Mathematica functions for obtaining a listing of files in a
directory.  See the ReferenceGuide entry for the function FileNames[].

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.