RE: Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18810] RE: [mg18766] Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Several people recommended the use of CleanSlate[] to get rid of all
previous work, and for many applications this works very well.  If you like
CleanSlate you might like my variation (CleanSlate2) defined below.  The
built-in CleanSlate prints out a few cells even if you end (CleanSlate[])
with a semi-colon. CleanSlate2 evaluates CleanSlate[] but makes no extra
cells.  If you like you can make a button with
  ButtonFunction->Block[{Print},CleanSlate[];]

However, keep in mind that CleanSlate will only undo things you did after
  <<CleanSlate.m
in your (init.m) file.

--------------------------

Below I use (CleanSlate2) to erase work I did.  However as I demonstrate
below changes made to ($ddddd) symbols and changes to the attributes of
built in functions aren't reset to the original values!

In[1]:=
<<CleanSlate.m;
CleanSlate2:=Block[{Print},CleanSlate[];]

In[3]:=
$MinPrecision=-23;
ClearAttributes[Log,Listable];
x=345;
f[x_]:=x^2

In[7]:=
CleanSlate2

In[1]:=

Out[1]=

In[2]:=
f[a]

Out[2]=
f[a]

In[3]:=
$MinPrecision

Out[3]=
-23

In[4]:=
Attributes[Log]

Out[4]=
{NumericFunction,Protected}

Above we see CleanSlate removed definitions for (f, x) but (Log) still isn't
Listable and we still have ($MinPrecision=-23).

For a long time I wished CleanSlate would reset EVERYTHING.  Recently I
discovered the menu selection (Quit Kernel).  Using the menu selection
EVERYTHING is reset.

Regards,
Ted Ersek