Re: Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18887] Re: [mg18766] Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)
  • From: tgayley at linkobjects.com (Todd Gayley)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:30:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 22 Jul 1999 01:09:11 -0400, "Ersek, Ted R"
<ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil> wrote:

>Several people recommended the use of CleanSlate[] to get rid of all
>previous work, and for many applications this works very well.  If you like
>CleanSlate you might like my variation (CleanSlate2) defined below.  The
>built-in CleanSlate prints out a few cells even if you end (CleanSlate[])
>with a semi-colon. CleanSlate2 evaluates CleanSlate[] but makes no extra
>cells.  If you like you can make a button with
>  ButtonFunction->Block[{Print},CleanSlate[];]
>
>However, keep in mind that CleanSlate will only undo things you did after
>  <<CleanSlate.m
>in your (init.m) file.
>
>--------------------------
>
>Below I use (CleanSlate2) to erase work I did.  However as I demonstrate
>below changes made to ($ddddd) symbols and changes to the attributes of
>built in functions aren't reset to the original values!

CleanSlate has an option, Verbose, which controls the printing of its
diagnostic message. Set it to False to turn it off:

CleanSlate[Verbose->False]

CleanSlate's documentation (which I seriously don't expect anyone to
read) desribes the things it resets and the things it doesn't. You
mention some things that it makes no attempt to restore. It would be
just too much effort (meaning memory use and computation time) to try
to completely reset the state of the kernel. As you note, if you
really want that, you can just quit and restart the kernel.

Todd Gayley
LinkObjects